How to create an SMS campaign
February 9, 2022
Companies that use SMS to communicate with their customers are already a step ahead of other commercial realities because with minimal economic resources they have chosen to create a relationship with customers, to retain them and at the same time to expand their business using SMS as a communication and advertising tool. Official statistics say that every year more than two billion SMS are sent and that 98% of these are read within 3 minutes of receipt on the device. Being text messages, moreover, it is not necessary to have a smartphone to be able to read them and if we think that by now everyone (but really everyone!) owns a cell phone, it is easy to understand the communicative capacity. So, how to create an SMS campaign?
Why should companies send SMS to customers?
If you’re looking for a way to get your customers to know you, you might want to consider using SMS as a way to get closer to your brand, to build trust, and to drive revenue. In fact, SMS are sent as reminders for appointments (in the case of a doctor’s office), to promote a new product or a special offer, to update customers on flash promotions or program changes (in the case of an event organizer), or simply to establish an ongoing relationship with them (perhaps by sending messages on a weekly basis).
The six rules for sending SMS to customers effectively
Before sending messages to your customers, however, it is good to have a clear strategy of how to approach a SMS marketing campaign: as all marketing campaigns, in fact, this one too needs to be studied and planned in detail in order to work and achieve concrete results. That’s why we have collected six simple rules that will be useful to all companies that need to manage an SMS marketing campaign and make it effective to strengthen the brand and that see SMS as a cutting-edge tool in the field of advertising and corporate communication.
- Choose carefully the SMS recipients: this means that according to the message you want to send you have to choose the right recipients, really interested in what you are communicating.
- Write a short and direct text: simplicity always wins and is the maximum effectiveness for a type of direct and fast communication such as SMS. In this way, a URL shortener could help you to insert links in a short and direct way.
- Insert a call to action: help them by inserting words like “Buy”, “sign up”, “Call now”, “Book now” and so on, conveying the rest of the actions possibly on your site, on a landing page or on your phone line.
- Prefer text messages with landing pages: as in Internet advertising, also with SMS it is possible to direct users to a specific landing page of the promotion in question: insert within the text of the SMS a link or a short URL inciting the user to click with a call to action and divert him to a page dedicated to the promotion and the offer on which your company wants to focus.
- Make yourself known by using a text sender: receiving messages from unknown senders would annoy anyone, especially a customer who sees an advertising message arriving on his phone without knowing its origin: for this reason, it is important that in the sending phase, you always indicate the brand.
- Choose the right moment: the choice of the most suitable moment will depend on several factors, including consumer habits and the content of the message: a store, for example, may take advantage of the Christmas period or sales to communicate the promotion of a product, a restaurant will have to follow meal times and a doctor’s office will follow the dates of appointments to send reminders to its patients.